Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Couple of Water Ideas

Two people from the First Family are working on some projects to raise money for water. Beth Jones is selling red "Water4Christmas.com" rubber bracelets for $5, with the proceeds going to WFC.

Alex Nunemaker has started an ambitious project with a goal of raising $4,000 by Christmas. Called "Stuff for Water," he is encouraging people to sell their unused stuff and donate the funds for water. He can explain it better than I can:

“Stuff” for Water
This Christmas, I’m asking friends, family and strangers to take advantage of online auction sites like Amazon.com, Craigslist.com or Ebay to bring water to a community in need.
The concept is simple: Most of us have things laying around our house that are rarely used or we don’t need or want. It could be old video games, books, CD’s, collectibles, household items… anything! I’m asking people to list items like these on the online sites that I have mentioned. By pooling our proceeds together I hope to raise $4000 by the end of December. To achieve this, I estimate we would need about 150 participants.

If you would like to participate or have any questions you can send me an email at anunemak@gmail.com or by phone at (240) 285-5335. If you are not comfortable with computers or these sites I can also list items for you, or help you decide where and how to list items.

Alex has created groups on MySpace and Facebook where you can learn more and communicate with others who are participating in "Stuff for Water." Go here for his MySpace group (check out Alex's "Why This is Important to Me" forum topic) and here for his Facebook group.

These are the kinds of simple things that regular people can do to provide something that we take for granted--clean water--but rare and precious in many places in the world.

1 comment:

  1. I've got my bracelet. Now I just need to come up with some stuff to sell.

    ReplyDelete