Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Guitar Delivery

I put the finishing touches on Eubanks Guitars #002, plugged it into my amp to make sure the pickup worked, then called the owner, Mike Jensen, and told him he could pick it up whenever he wanted.

He wanted now.

He was working up in Thurmont at his body shop, "Mike's Auto Body," and couldn't wait to come get it. I let him borrow one of my cases so he could safely transport it home.




He's happy.
See?



The guitar looks good, plays great, and has a nice sound that will only get better. I told him to play the heck out of the guitar over the next three months to break it in.

The top (not called the front, even though it's the part that faces the front) is made of spruce, which sounds better and better as it ages. The next few months it will adjust to the vibrations caused by playing. It will loosen up, which means it will vibrate more, which will loosen it up even more--and a top that vibrates more loosely is a top that will sound better and better.

The first Eubanks Guitar is the one I made in Vermont. This is the second Eubanks Guitar, but it's the first made here in Maryland by myself. And it's the first made for someone else.

But not the last. Pam's itching for me to get to some things on the Honey-Do List, but when the weather warms up and I can control the humidity in the garage, I'll start on the next one. There are dibs already for #003 and #004, but if you're interested--seriously interested--let me know. It'll take a few years to get to you, but as long as you're not in a hurry, I'll add you to the waiting list.

This was a lot of work. It was frustrating at times.

But it was a lot of fun.

1 comment:

  1. That's impressive! It makes me want to practice.

    Oh, and I had always hoped the middle name would be "Leopold"

    Andy O.

    ReplyDelete